Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

What Did He Say?

In my post last week I mentioned I wanted to strive to be more like Jesus in all I am. I want to give myself to the Lord everyday, to do and be and say what He says.

How do I know what that is? I read my Bible...simple enough, eh?

I can hear some of you…..Read my Bible you say??  Do you realized there are words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, chapters that I don’t even know what they mean? And what about some of those names? Who can even pronounce them?

I have been there.  May I suggest a Bible that has footnotes.  Mine has great notes at the bottom of each page that help explain what I just read.  I will admit, without them, I would still be a bit lost.
 
So why is it important to read the Bible?

God’s Word tells us what He wants for us. Yay!  That is a relief. Day after day I hear what this world wants for me. I personally prefer hearing and relying on the promises of God. But wait, there’s more. (gasp)

There’s more you say?  Yep.
It also helps us with our prayers. If we know what God says about something then, we can pray what He says for our situation. Really, it is that easy.

So…. say you have an issue with joy in your life and you desire to have more. I think you will find that the Bible has around 200 verses about joy. Yearning for more peace?  About 400 verses on peace. Let’s not forget wisdom. That, my friend, is endless. As you seek God and dig into His word you can’t help but to become more wise. I don’t know about you, but I sure could use more wisdom in every area of my life.  

Psalm 19:7, “The word of the Lord is perfect, restoring the [whole] person; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.”

God’s Word is a guide for our faith, life and behavior.

What do I like most about reading my Bible? It brings me closer to Him so we can have a relationship. Through reading my Bible and praying, I have a wonderful relationship with God. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to start on your journey to knowing God more and drawing close to Him. Oh! The joy in the journey with God!

For anyone not already reading their Bible daily, I challenge you to start. It is truly life giving. You can find many options for reading through your Bible in a year here Bible Reading Plans. There are many other plans/websites/apps for reading. Find one that fits your needs and be filled with the promises of God.

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment