Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Compassion: A Daily Choice


Hey! It is February and for some we are still living in a frozen tundra. That's okay, our hearts will be warmed with what this month brings as we acknowledge the loved ones around us.  Awe, isn't that cute... or corny... not sure which. I may not be a huge fan of Valentine's Day, but I do think it is important to acknowledge those we love.

Now, I have been thinking.  Why not take it a step further. Let's say towards compassion. The last five years I have been praying that God would fill me with compassion for others. I want to show compassion to the person that has less than the best driving qualities, is rude in checkout lines or doesn't think of others first. It has been a bit challenging at times to say the least, but it has also been fun to see how God has softened my hard edges so that compassion could show through.  Believe me - I had some really hard edges!

What is Compassion?

Compassion is defined as: The human disposition that fuels acts of kindness and mercy.  Compassion is a form of Love. It is something we should show to everyone, not just those we like.

God has called us to be compassionate.  He says in Zechariah and Colssians to show and clothe ourselves with compassion.
Zechariah 7:9, "This is what the Lord Almighty says: Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another."
Colossians 3:12, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved; show mercy and compassion to one another."
We as Christians (Christian means being Christ-like) should model ourselves after God.  He clearly is a God of compassion. God showed compassion to His people countless times.

David wrote in Psalm 86:15, "But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." David wrote again in Psalm 145:8, "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love."

When God descended in a cloud and stood with Moses on Mt. Sinai, and passed in front of Moses, God defined Himself this way: "...The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness ." Exodus 34:6 

I see noted in these scriptures that God is compassionate AND slow to anger. Hmm, I think they go hand in hand. So, if I am slow to anger I can administer compassion much easier! James 1:19 tells us, "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger."  I am not perfect in this, believe me, I have had times I really missed it, but I will continue to strive for better. I will say I have seen my life become richer through showing more compassion.

When we show compassion we are sharing and ministering God to others.

Seek to show compassion in all areas of your life. Anywhere from the stranger that pulls out in front of you in traffic to a family member that gets under your skin, or a co-worker that just doesn't get it. Share a smile and a sincere hello with a stranger who looks grumpy (Oh, my favorite is the grumpy old men - what a hoot they are - so fun to make them smile.) Those are golden opportunities. The more you do it, the more you become aware of those around you, and you actually look for opportunities to show compassion. Hey, I almost hugged two ladies in the store the other day.  I overheard part of their conversation and they just needed a hug. Man! I missed it. Next time I will do it.

I challenge you to think of some ways you and your family can show compassion to those around you.

Get excited about showing compassion - it really does feel great!

~M


No comments:

Post a Comment