Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Being the Light


Don’t let Satan run you out of where or what you are suppose to be!

Now, for some reason I am reminded of the song, “This Little Light of Mine”. Do you remember the words?

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.(repeat 3X)
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Don't let Satan blow it out.
I'm gonna let it shine. (repeat 3X)

Although, when I was a kid. We didn’t say ‘blow it out’. We actually made the sound and all the hand motions that go along with it. Ahh..fun times. Hide it under a bushel - NO!

My point is. We are the light. If God has placed you somewhere - be the light and don’t wither away because Satan tries to put pressure on you to leave or back down.

Matthew 5:14-16, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.”
I do like the below Message translation for that same verse. It makes me smile.

Matthew 5:14-16, “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
God puts us in places to be the light, not to be hid under a bucket (or a bushel). It doesn’t matter if it is your workplace, your local grocery store, your church, your home, your family gatherings(yikes!). Wherever it is, we are suppose to be there shining for God and ministering His goodness to others.
Mark 16:15: ...“You are to go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere.

Before I read my Bible I always say, “Lord cause Your words to be life and light to me.”  God’s Word is life to us. (Proverbs 4:20-22) If we are full of His Word then we can begin to bring life and light to those around us and those in need.   Light = Life 

Truth be told. I am not always a light. Sometimes I am as dim as the tail end of a lightning bug. In those times I am thankful for God's loving correction - and not condemnation - that directs me. With His grace, I am able to learn and make the corrections needed.  

There you have it. Don’t let Satan run you out of where or what God has commanded you to be, say and do. Stand firm, stand bold. Be the light - shine! 

~M 

Philippians 2:15-16, "Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I’ll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You’ll be living proof that I didn’t go to all this work for nothing."  (Message translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment